Friday, July 19, 2013

Cauliflower Sticks

1/4 of a large head of cauliflower “riced”
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
1 large egg (white), lightly beaten
1/2 Cup low fat mozzarella cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning, divided

Preheat the oven to 350F and spray a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan cooking spray. The recipe I followed called for lining the pan with parchment paper, but since I didn’t have any, I made my own small pan using aluminum foil. Be sure to still spray it though or it will stick (I learned my lesson there).

To “rice” the cauliflower, grab your cheese grater and go to town as if you were grating cheese. When you’re done, you should have about 1.5 cups lightly packed. Place the riced cauliflower into a microwavable bowl and microwave until softened, about 5 minutes depending on your microwave (no need to add any water). While that is cooking, heat the oil in a small skillet over low heat and add your garlic until softened and smelly – I used minced garlic bits instead of cloves. When your cauliflower is softened, add the garlic mixture, lightly beaten egg white, Italian seasonings, and 3/4 of your low fat mozzarella. Be sure to leave 1/4 of the cheese for the topping! Stir and mix well, then spread onto your prepared pan.

The recipe I used said to bake at 350F for about 30 minutes. My oven, however, needed something much different so be sure to watch these closely. I baked mine at about 400F for about 40 minutes so you may have to play around with your oven to find the right baking temperature. Bake until they start to turn golden brown. Remove from the oven, flip the loaf over so the bottom side is now on top, and bake for another 10 minutes or so.
Now it’s time to add the remaining cheese and a sprinkle more of the Italian herb seasoning. Place back in the oven until the cheese is melted and golden. Cut into pieces and serve hot or warm. I did find that if you let them sit for a little, they will harden slightly and make them easier for dipping (it was hard to wait though!)
Heat up your marinara sauce and serve! I found this online so excited to try it! 

No comments: